« Home

Logo Gadgetize: Awards, Rebates and Other Useless Incentives

Not announcements - real, available gadgets and gizmos. If you read about it here, you can buy it. Probably.

Compare Prices on Gadgets at Spot Cost

Search     for     

Site Search

  

Previous Posts

» 5.6" Ziga PictureFrame "Media Player" for $155
» Using AudioGrabber with Car MP3 Transmitters
» 512MB Pen Drives for VFM7 - $44 With Lanyard!
» Projectors vs Plasma, LCDs, Rear Projection
» Even Better Car iPod Shuffle - VFM7 $30
» Yes, I Bought a Cassette Deck Today....
» Record HD and Restore VHS - HM-DH40000U $300
» This Week on Gadgetize - Fun, Friends and More...
» The Pains of Early/Uninformed Adoption - DSM-320
» Do I Like Fujitsu Today? P7000 Under $1600


Related Products

Friday, February 25, 2005

Awards, Rebates and Other Useless Incentives

Recently I bought a D-Link DSM-320 MediaLounge, and I couldn't have been much more disappointed. It simply didn't do whait it claimed (play video) correctly (in sync), and when I wrote in to their support with a very detailed, friendly question, I got zero response. Not in 72 hours, not in 1000 hours, not ever. It is a known issue and there is no solid date for a fix.

So how did I end up with a piece of equipment that was worthless to me? For one thing, I do tend to buy anything I see that's being cleared out. But in this case, I had seen the awards this thing had won, and it really looked to be exactly what I needed. It won the AEA "Most Innovative Product Technology for Consumer and SOHO Markets", and the CES 2005 "Innovations Honoree Award". It looked like a no brainer for $150 or whatever it was.

Well, it was a no-brainer. Those awards are meaningless, as they often are. I recently purchased ClickTracks Professional, a logfile analyzer that has won any number of awards, and it simply can't analyze a logfile as big as mine. Until it's updated, it's 5000 flushed dollars.

Another thing I need to watch out for is the mail-in rebate. There's a reason they are getting so popular with merchants: they are a good deal for them. Most people don't send them in, but even those that do religiously help the store out by cutting off the UPCs from their boxes, so the store can guarantee many fewer returns. Had I been less lazy I'd still have that garbage MediaLounge playing out of sync video in here.

So in general, don't be swayed by awards on boxes and rebate signs on shelves, you'll end up with piles of good intentions and terrible products. Just like me.

AddThis Permalink   Email This   Post a Comment (0)

© Gadgetize.com All Rights Reserved. Besides, there's nada to copy.

Gadget Saving

» Froogle - Shopping Search
» SpotCost - Price Comparison
 

Gadget Shopping

» Computer Geeks
» New Egg
» Cyber Outlet
» Directron
 

Gadget Blogs

» Engadget
» Gizmodo
» Gotta Have One
» Oh Gizmo

Tags / Labels