« Home

Logo Gadgetize: This Week on Gadgetize - Fun, Friends and More...

Not announcements - real, available gadgets and gizmos. If you read about it here, you can buy it. Probably.

Compare Prices on Gadgets at Spot Cost

Search     for     

Site Search

  

Previous Posts

» The Pains of Early/Uninformed Adoption - DSM-320
» Do I Like Fujitsu Today? P7000 Under $1600
» Why Import Japanese Notebooks? P1000 - $1200
» BestBuy - D-Link MediaLounge DSM-320 for $150
» Is This Something? Eujoy Every-Device Thing $60
» Gotta Have a 10 Incher? Sony VGN-T150 for $1860
» How Did This Not Take Off? Nokia 3300 for $99
» Dynamism or Walmart? 12.1" WXGA Tatung $998
» The Totally Awesome 1GB Car iPod Shuffle - $128
» Futuristic, Visionary V800XPT-1 Tablets $869


Related Products

Saturday, January 29, 2005

This Week on Gadgetize - Fun, Friends and More...

Well, this past week can be summed up by the phrase "The D-Link DSM-320 product, software, and support stink to high heaven." I contacted them through the site immediately after noticing the video problems, got no response, read some forums full of people in my boat, and I returned it. Oddly enough, the thing can't stop winning awards and great reviews at CES and from PC Magazine. Who can you trust? Me, and that's it I guess. I'll be stupid enough for us all.

So what does that have to do with this week? It gives us our project and focus for the week. Home theater without killing myself in frustration.

So first, we'll follow a project: I picked up an Xbox, a 120GB hard drive, DVD remote and I ordered the SpiderChip solderless (hopefully) mod chip. It's apparently the most difficult version to get to work properly, so we'll see how easy I can make our worst case scenario. I just keep seeing Mac mini media center projects and I don't feel like spending hundreds more than I have to.

Second, we'll talk theater displays. I use a projector, and I can't see how anyone would do anything differently unless they have money to burn.

Third, we'll go over some other interesting media center possibilities, focusing on opening a box and having something work. For once in my miserable life.

Along the way I'm sure I'll make some other poor purchasing decisions. Plus, I missed UPS to get that crazy Mcatch thing. How, I don't know, I was here all day, just like every day. I can't wait to use all the functions rapid-fire in a group setting so I can act like it's completely de rigeur. "What? Oh, I don't know, it's a video/still camera mp3 player/recorder, doesn't everyone carry something this crappy? Watch me use it in a dramatic fashion."

AddThis Permalink   Email This   Post a Comment (0)

© Gadgetize.com All Rights Reserved. Besides, there's nada to copy.

Gadget Saving

» Froogle - Shopping Search
» SpotCost - Price Comparison
 

Gadget Shopping

» Computer Geeks
» New Egg
» Cyber Outlet
» Directron
 

Gadget Blogs

» Engadget
» Gizmodo
» Gotta Have One
» Oh Gizmo

Tags / Labels