« Home

Logo Gadgetize: I Couldn't Wait For The Netgear Skype Phone

Not announcements - real, available gadgets and gizmos. If you read about it here, you can buy it. Probably.

Compare Prices on Gadgets at Spot Cost

Search     for     

Site Search

  

Previous Posts

» Mach Speed TRIO Player & SD Card - Under $25
» USB Extension Under $30
» Find the Culprit, Kill-a-Watt $34 Shipped
» The Sonic Impact T-Amp: $30 Giant Killer?
» My Experience with Vongo
» Great Use for Old Drives, a File Server for $60
» Cheap Start for an HTPC, under $100
» ATSC HDTV and Upconverting DVD Under $170
» Christmas Gifts Around $20, Part 1
» Building an HTPC on the Cheap, Under $400


Related Products

Saturday, March 25, 2006

I Couldn't Wait For The Netgear Skype Phone

I've been waiting. So patiently waiting, waiting for the Netgear Skype phone to come out. I have a fantasy that one day I'll be answering the phone on the beach somewhere, pretending I'm at work, and no one will ever know where I am again.

Well, I refuse to give up the dream, so I grabbed a Dell Axim X3 with built-in WiFi. It was less than $200 shipped, and it has an XScale 400MHz processor, so it works with Skype.

The results have been pretty good. The range on the X3's WiFi is fantastic. It's best to use headphones with Skype to avoid having to turn on the feedback cancelling, but what I found that was even better, and was quite a surprise, was Woize.

Woize works just like Skype, but the processor requirements aren't as high. So I actually had better voice quality using it. It's very good.

So I still wish I had an actual phone-shaped device, but from now on, no one in my life can be sure where on God's Green Earth I am. And that's what really counts.

AddThis Permalink   Email This   Post a Comment (0)

© Gadgetize.com All Rights Reserved. Besides, there's nada to copy.

Gadget Saving

» Froogle - Shopping Search
» SpotCost - Price Comparison
 

Gadget Shopping

» Computer Geeks
» New Egg
» Cyber Outlet
» Directron
 

Gadget Blogs

» Engadget
» Gizmodo
» Gotta Have One
» Oh Gizmo

Tags / Labels